Thursday, December 11

12 Days of Breakfast Tacos: My Morning Migas by Addie Broyles

Nuestra amiga Addie Broyles - foodista, writer, mommy and former What Not to Wear celebrity has many talents and you might as well add breakfast tacos to her lista. We all love our migas tacos but how do you mix it up or give 'em a little healthy kick??? Let's thanks Addie for My Morning Migas con Brussels sprouts! Check out Addie's recipe below.

BTW, today is the last day to order your signed book. :( I know, we're sad too. So get yours today!



Excerpt from Austin Breakfast Tacos: Addie Broyles, Relish Austin - Austin American-Statesman/Austin360

Tell us about yourself and your connection with Austin...and the breakfast taco.
Even though I was raised in southwest Missouri, my family ate a lot of breakfast tacos growing up. We (foolishly) called them breakfast burritos, but that quickly changed when I moved to Austin in 2005. I’ve always been a savory breakfast kind of person, but it was only a matter of time before I couldn’t think of something savory to eat for breakfast that was not a breakfast taco. I didn’t start making migas until I started to grow a little tired of the traditional bacon, eggs and cheese breakfast tacos and when I decided that vegetables for breakfast was a pretty good way to sneak even more greens into my diet. I make a living writing about food for the Austin American-Statesman, but I don’t consider myself a professional cook, and this recipe for migas is one that anyone with a frying pan, eggs and stale tortilla chips can make. (And yes, fresh chips will work in a pinch, but I save the last crumbles in the tortilla chip bag specifically for making migas.)

Whatever else you decide to put in your taco will evolve by the day and by your tastes. I used chopped Brussels sprouts for this version because that’s what I had in my vegetable crisper, but I’ve made it with leftover roasted sweet potatoes, last night’s grilled zucchini or quickly sautéed chard or kale. Cheese isn’t absolutely necessary, but I do like to throw a little in there to finish the dish.

Recipe: My Morning Migas
2 tablespoons salted butter, divided
1⁄2 cup chopped Brussels sprouts, stems
removed
1⁄2 cup lightly crushed stale tortilla chips
3 eggs, gently beaten
2 tablespoons shredded cheese (optional) Salt, pepper and Sriracha to taste
2 flour tortillas

In a small sauté pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Gently sauté the sprouts until they start to soften and turn bright green. Add the last of the butter and the chips. Stir to coat the chips in butter and continue cooking and stirring until the chips are lightly toasted and the sprouts have cooked for another few minutes. Add the eggs and cheese to the pan. Cook as you would scrambled eggs, stirring regularly but not constantly to ensure that the eggs cook evenly. If cooking on a gas stove, warm tortillas over flame (or in a pan or griddle, if need be).

Remove from heat and fill the tortillas with the migas. Top with Sriracha or other hot sauce, as desired, and enjoy. Serves 1 generously or 2 for a smaller breakfast.